IRIS is a company born in 2012 and located in Italy, in the industrial area of Turin. Consisting of twelve employees and supported by several external collaborations, IRIS owns a strong background in industrial laser, Additive Manufacturing and plasma technology applications, adding value in process optimization/qualification in order to guarantee best affordable product performances (dimensional, structural reliability, etc.). IRIS is involved in a European and regional network of companies, maintaining an active portfolio of investments in technological innovation. The networks activities aim at sharing of research and development efforts such as industrial resources and capacity (cutting, welding, machining, prototyping) to increase the competitiveness of the local industrial system. IRIS facilities include a 400 m2 lab for experimental testing of laser and plasma processing. IRIS maintains partnerships with a group of local manufacturing SMEs specialized in laser and plasma cutting, CNC machining, bending and welding technologies, capable of building prototypes (e.g. novel equipment components, technological demonstrators) and testing new processes and equipment in an industrial environment. IRIS is also part of different running European funded projects, related to additive manufacturing and laser technologies, with extended partnerships with larger companies such as Avio Aero, Prima Industrie and SUPSI.
Main fields of activity are:
- Development of environmental applications of plasma technology (2 patent applications pending approval)
- Design of industrial applications of laser technology with a strong focus on metal additive manufacturing
- Support for innovation and technology transfer to SMEs
Ongoing and recently completed projects are:
- 4D HYBRID: Novel ALL-IN-ONE machines, robots and systems for affordable, worldwide and lifetime distributed 3D hybrid manufacturing and repair operations – H2020
- BOREALIS (the 3A energy class Flexible Machine for the new Additive and Subtractive Manufacturing of next generation of complex 3D metal parts) – H2020
- SYMBIONICA: Reconfigurable Machine for the new Additive and Subtractive Manufacturing of next generation fully personalized bionics and smart prosthetics aims to develop a new technological platform integrating cutting edge innovations in design and manufacturing in order to deliver better Medtech products and services for an improved quality of life – H2020
- NewDeli (assessing a new ultra-short pulse fiber delivery system candidate for a new generation of Additive Manufacturing and subtractive machines)- part of APPOLO project, FP7
- SeaLitterCritters (feasibility of an unmanned autonomous sea vessel able to collect and treat on board floating marine litter) – H2020
- WHITE’R (White Room based on Reconfigurable robotic Island for optoelectronics) – FP7
- ECOWELD (Automated and flexible laser welding system for small-lot production)
- WATERPLASMA (Application of plasma to water treatment)
- GREENPLASMA (Plasma based solid waste/ wastewater treatment)
Thanks to the experience in bidirectional technology transfer (from R&D centers global network to IRIS and from IRIS to local SMEs network), IRIS has often been involved as exploitation leader bringing a faithful and realistic industrial perspective in addressing technical project choices to the team.